Verifying your health insurance coverage
It is very important that you provide accurate information so that your insurance coverage can be verified prior to your admission and the appropriate authorizations required by your insurance plan are obtained. Most of this information can be found on your insurance I.D. card. Please remember to bring your card with you when you come to the hospital.
Self-pays and co-pays
It is Lawrence + Memorial Hospital's policy to collect any estimated self-pay balances or co-pays upon admission. Please call the Business office if you have any questions. For you convenience we accept, Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express. If you are unable to make an estimated payment, you will need to make other arrangements with our Financial Counselor. They can advise you of available options including Financial Assistance Programs and assist you in this process.
Currently, our Financial Counselors can be reached at 860-442-0711 extension 2075 or 2771, from 8:00AM to 6:00PM Monday - Friday or via E-mail at FinancialCounselorsLMTeam@lmhosp.org
If you have questions about your Lawrence + Memorial Hospital bill, or feel that it is incorrect, call 860- 444-4702, Mon. - Fri., 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. If you have questions about any of the other bills pertaining to your hospital stay, please call the number listed on those bills because other physicians such as radiologists, pathologists, anesthesiologists and Emergency room physicians may bill separately for their services while you were in the hospital.
Requesting a Lawrence + Memorial Hospital itemized bill
To obtain a copy of your L+M Hospital itemized bill, please call 860-444-4702. Make sure to have patient name, date of service, account number and/or medical record number available. Please check to see where this information is located on our sample statement.
Lawrence + Memorial Hospital provides some services free or at a reduced charge to uninsured or underinsured individuals who cannot afford to pay for medical care. Patients whose income does not exceed 250 percent of the federal poverty level will be considered eligible for free care. Patients whose income does not exceed 400 percent of the federal poverty level and do not have insurance may be considered eligible for a Sliding Scale discount. Please speak with a Financial Counselor to see if you are eligible for financial assistance.
In addition, our Financial Counselor will educate and assist you in applying for various resources with the State of Connecticut to help you pay your hospital bills. Such applications include, State Assistance, SAGA, and Husky.
For more information click here to link to the Department of Social Services with the State of Connecticut. Our Financial Counselors can be reached at 860-442-0711 extension 2075 or 2771, from 8:00AM to 6:00PM Monday - Friday or via E-mail at FinancialCounselorsLMTeam@lmhosp.org
Tips in preventing billing problems
Billing and insurance can be confusing, so here are some tips to prevent errors or delays:
- Carefully read every bill or statement from your doctor, hospital or your insurance company.
- Do not assume that your insurance plan will take care of it for you.
- Always get the name and phone # of any insurance / Hospital representative you talk to.
- Read and understand your insurance benefits.
- Sometimes employers fail to pass on their files of new employees to insurance carriers/ health plans, Make sure you are covered. Always double check your benefits.
- Always call immediately if you notice a billing problem, the sooner you bring it to someone's attention the faster resolution can be found. Insurance plans have strict guidelines as to when resolution can be made on claims. A rule of thumb is 120 days from the date of service.
- Be persistent, there is a window of opportunity to have bills resolved. If you wait too long then the likelihood of resolution is reduced.