Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliated with Harvard Medical School in Boston is the world leader in diabetes treatment, education, and research. Through an affiliate program in Connecticut, Lawrence + Memorial is providing eastern and shoreline CT, southern and western RI, and Fisher's Island, NY with a comprehensive diabetes management program and endocrine services.
As a Joslin patient, you are the center of a team of experts. Choosing Joslin means choosing an international network of centers led by the world renowned Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston.
Our Joslin physicians have been granted 3 year recognition from January 23, 2011 to January 23, 2014 by the American Diabetes Association/National Committee for Quality Assurance Provider Recognition Program.
The Joslin Diabetes Center's Education Program has been awarded continued Recognition from the American Diabetes Association in accordance with the National Standards for Diabetes Self Management Education Programs through January 6, 2012.
194 Howard Street
New London, CT 06320
L+M Stonington Medical Center
91 Voluntown Road
Stonington, CT 06379
Provide state of the art diabetes & endocrine medical care within a team setting
Be the provider of choice for diabetes & endocrine services in response to the community's needs and new research findings
Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence, Stewardship
What are the risk factors?
You are at higher risk if:
- You are age 45 and older
- Member of a high-risk ethnic group (e.g., African American, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, Asian American, Pacific Islander)
- You are overweight
- You have high blood pressure (at or above 140/90)
- You have a family history of diabetes
- You have a history of diabetes during pregnancy or you are a woman who has had a baby weighing more than nine pounds at birth.
Three-session class series covering all aspects of diabetes management; the focus is on changing behaviors to help people better manage their disease (covered by most insurance)
Support Group and Weight Management Support Group:
Talk about your diabetes problems and share your solutions with others (free).
Individual Outpatient Appointments:
Scheduled with nurse or a dietitian (covered by some insurance or fee for service).
How the Joslin System Works and The Joslin Diabetes Center Team
The Joslin System relies on a team of specialists to provide both inpatients and outpatients with a comprehensive approach to the management of their diabetes. Whatever a patient's particular need, the Joslin Team will collaborate with the patient to develop an individualized plan of care. The approach is based on empowering patients by teaching them how to manage their own care.
The team includes the following specialists:
- Diabetologist - A physician who specializes in diabetes and is responsible for the patients overall care and treatment
- Endocrinologist - A physician who specializes in the care of the endocrine glands and the hormones produced by them. Includes diabetes and disorders of thyroid and metabolism.
- Nurse Practitioner - Specially trained specialist who assists the physicians in meeting the diabetic patient's needs.
- Diabetes Nurse Educator - Works with patients to provide the latest research and information most helpful to empower them to manage their illness. This specialist is a crucial part of the team and works with patients to answer questions.
- Registered Dietitian - Assists the patient in designing a meal plan that will manage the diabetes. The dietitian takes a realistic approach by balancing the physical needs of the people with diabetes, their lifestyle, budget, and culture.
- Other Lawrence + Memorial Specialists - To treat diabetes-related disorders, the Joslin team works with staff ophthalmologists, podiatrists, exercise physiologists, kidney specialists, mental health professionals, and others to ensure the best patient care.