Chaplaincy Program for Patients and Families
At L+M Hospital we are focused on your spiritual health as well as your physical health. Before you are a patient, you are a person, and we want to make your experience with us as healing, stress-free, and fulfilling as possible. Therefore our chaplains are here to serve your spiritual needs during this special time.
What we offer:
- Conversation and prayers before surgery
- Bedside visits during a hospital stay
- Stress reduction techniques and meditation
- Confidential listening
- Consultation regarding religious or ethical questions, including Advanced Directives
- Rituals and sacraments according to different faith traditions
- Help observing faith practices in the hospital setting
- Prayers of hope, healing, comfort, peace, strength, grace, love, and wholeness
- Assistance contacting a specific congregation or clergy
- Assistance with religious dietary needs
- Religious reading materials from several faith traditions
- Blessing of a new baby
- Spiritual and practical assistance when death is imminent
Our interfaith Peace Chapel is on the 1st floor, near the Red elevators. It is always open for prayer and meditation, and there is a central compass rug that indicates which way is East. You will find a place of peace and respite, a book in which you can write your prayers, spiritual reading materials, and soothing music. The Peace Chapel is also available, by reservation through the Pastoral Care office, for memorial services, weddings, and other special services.
- The Pastoral Care office is on the first floor near the Red Elevators, Room 1.436
- Chaplains are on-site from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. After hours and on weekends there is an on-call Chaplain (reached through the hospital operator)
- From inside the hospital, dial extension 2305 or ask a nurse to contact Pastoral Care
- From outside the hospital, dial 860-442-0711, ext 2305
- The Spiritual Care Manager, Rev. Jessica Sommar, can be emailed at email@example.com
Clinical Pastoral Education at L+M
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) is a process that enables development of ministry skills in a clinical setting through interaction with patients and their families, staff, peers and a certified CPE Supervisor. CPE chaplain interns work with staff chaplains as part of an interdisciplinary team in addressing patients' spiritual needs. L+M offers an “Extended Unit” which runs from early October through late April, during which the CPE student works at the hospital part-time.
- To explore a possible calling to professional Chaplaincy;
- To fulfill educational requirements for certain graduate degree programs or ordination;
- To learn new tools and techniques in ministering to the sick and dying;
- To enhance self-understanding and broaden religious experience;
- To achieve greater satisfaction and fulfillment in ministry;
- To improve pastoral skills.
Why CPE at L+M?
- L+M is certified by ACPE for Level I and Level II CPE;
- L+M’s CPE Extended Unit allows the student to retain full-time employment while taking the course.
- L+M is a dynamic and progressive hospital environment;
- L+M has socially and culturally diverse patients and staff;
- L+M believes in strong community involvement;
- L+M is large enough for a rich, broad based clinical experience;
- L+M is small enough to retain individuality and offer a “tailored” experience.
Who should apply for CPE at L+M?
- Seminarians and others who feel called to explore professional Chaplaincy.
- Local Clergy of all faith traditions.
- Lay Ministers who want to expand their skill set.
What's the Commitment?
- A total of at least 400 hours split between clinical work and the education/supervisory process. This breaks down to approximately 6-8 hours per week seeing patients and charting, and 6-8 hours per week in class and supervision.
- Serve as chaplain on at least two nursing units.
- Written work which includes verbatim accounts of patient visits with theological reflections, periodic personal reflections, mid-unit and final evaluations.
- A one-time fee of $700, due before the unit begins.
To apply, contact the Pastoral Care office at 860-442-0711, ext 2305. You can find more CPE information and the CPE application form at the ACPE web-site: www.acpe.edu. Completion of the application process does not guarantee acceptance into the program.