At Lawrence + Memorial Hospital, urologists offer expertise in a range of areas to improve urologic health for men and women. These include treatments for urologic cancers, prostate enlargement and kidney stone management.
As part of Yale New Haven Health, Lawrence + Memorial Hospital also offers referrals within our medical network for specialized conditions such as female pelvic reconstructive surgery, pediatric urology, male infertility and female organ prolapse.
Our patients also have opportunities to take part in clinical trials through Yale School of Medicine and the Smilow Cancer Center that contribute to research on treatment for bladder, kidneys, prostate, and other urologic malignancies.
Our team is here to improve your overall urologic health and quality of life.
Our urologists have clinical expertise in several subspecialties to diagnose and treat a variety of urological problems. These include:
- Urologic oncology covering cancer of the bladder, kidneys, prostate, testis and penis.
- Kidney stone prevention and treatment, including medical and surgical management.
- Prostate disorders such as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), an enlargement of the prostate that often causes frequent urination and a feeling of “not emptying” completely.
- Sexual dysfunction such as low testosterone (low-T), erectile dysfunction (ED), and Peyronie’s disease, a curvature condition that may affect male sexual function.
- Vasectomy for unwanted fertility.
Using endoscopic, laparoscopic, and robotic surgical techniques, our fellowship-trained urologists help patients recover faster than with traditional surgery.
Advanced medical and surgical management for kidney stones
Kidney stones affect a large proportion of the population, and incidence is on the rise. Stone disease can range from acute painful episodes to a lifelong chronic condition. Our team is skilled in the surgical management of both simple and complex kidney stone, and is furthermore focused on the prevention of further episodes.
We offer incisionless, endoscopic procedures for small and large kidney stones, usually performed as same day surgery.
- For complex and very large kidney stones, we offer Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) and mini-PCNL, a cutting edge approach to clear even the largest of stone burdens.
- Patient followup is streamlined by urologists offering in-office ultrasound and comprehensive metabolic workups for the prevention of future stone events.
Dr. Timothy Tran discusses the symptoms, treatment and prevention of kidney stones
Prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment
Our urologists are equipped with the latest digital imaging and tools to evaluate and diagnose prostate cancer. For multidisciplinary and advanced treatment, our patients are referred for coordinated care at the Smilow Cancer Hospital Care Center in Waterford.
- With Artemis targeted biopsy, patients can receive an accurate prostate biopsy in an outpatient visit at L+M Hospital. This state-of-the-art technology combines high-resolution ultrasound with 3D MRI imaging for a more precise biopsy.
- Our urologists offer a leading-edge adjunct to radiation treatment for prostate cancer called SpaceOAR. During a minimally invasive procedure at L+M Hospital, SpaceOAR protective hydrogel is injected between the rectum and prostate creating space to protect healthy surrounding tissue from radiation exposure. The procedure can be performed under general or local anesthesia. The body naturally absorbs the gel in about six months.
- Utilizing the daVinci Xi surgical system, patients are offered cutting edge robotic surgery from one of the most experienced teams in the region. In addition, our enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) protocols are proven to have patients out of the hospital and on the road to recovery more quickly