The Smilow Cancer Hospital Care Center in Waterford provides local access to expert cancer care and treatment to southeastern Connecticut and the surrounding communities, including western Rhode Island and Fishers Island, New York.
Located in southeastern Connecticut, Smilow Cancer Hospital Care Center in Waterford offers a range of clinical services in the treatment of cancer.
Our clinical services include:
- Medical oncology, includes chemotherapy and infusion treatments.
- Hematology services, offered by our medical oncology team. Skilled care from compassionate, local providers for patients with any type of non-cancerous disorders affecting the blood, lymph nodes, and bone marrow.
- Radiation oncology, provided by Yale Medicine physician specialists. Radiation services offered at the Cancer Center include image-guided radiation therapy, intensity–modulated radiation therapy, cone beam computed topography, prone breast positioning, Calypso, Rapid Arc and Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT).
- Gynecologic (GYN) oncology, offers specialized treatment for cancers of the reproductive system occurring in women, including, but not limited to, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, endometrial cancer and cervical cancer.
- Genetic testing, including genomic profiling of certain cancers in collaboration with the Tumor Profiling Lab at Smilow Cancer Hospital Center at Yale New Haven and Yale Cancer Center.
- Lab services are available onsite for the convenience of patients receiving treatment at the Care Center.
- Pharmacy services: The medical oncology unit includes an onsite pharmacy staffed by experienced Clinical Pharmacists with certifications in the practice of oncology pharmacy to assure efficient and safe preparation of all chemotherapeutic agents. To enhance patient safety, use of advanced technologies, such as a computerized ordering system and bar-coded medications are deployed. Our pharmacists are available to answer patient questions. The pharmacy is unable to fill personal prescriptions.
Comprehensive Care Treats the Whole Patient
We recognize that a cancer diagnosis can affect every aspect of life for you and your loved ones; our dedicated physicians and support staff are committed to providing care for every area. In addition to extensive clinical services, the Smilow Cancer Hospital Care Center offers complementary support services for patients, their family members and caregivers.
The Cancer Center was built with our patients’ comfort in mind. As the building was designed, suggestions from cancer survivors, physicians, nurses and other care experts were implemented, such as the onsite lab and pharmacy which provide convenience and improve ease of treatment. By design, the spacious interiors are filled with light, soothing colors and views of the woodland setting to provide a tranquil atmosphere to support healing.