What to Expect
Patients- As Our Guest
Day of Admission
- On your day of admission, it is important to arrive on time.
- If you are pre-registered, you may need to sign some final paperwork.
- You will receive an ID bracelet.
- If you have an advance directive, such as a living will or a health care agent, bring a copy with you. A living will cannot be honored unless it is attached to your chart.
- Papers you might need include: medical insurance cards, your Social Security card and a list of all medications that you are currently taking.
- After arriving, you will be introduced to your surroundings by a member of the patient care staff.
- When you need help or want to talk to a nurse, use the intercom system that links your room with the nurse's station. There, a health unit coordinator will relay your message and a nurse will come to your room as promptly as possible.
- The hospital is an unfamiliar setting to you. You may be taking medication that makes you dizzy and disoriented or your illness may cause you to feel weak and unsteady. Any of these may lead to accidents and/or injuries in the hospital.
- It is important that you follow your physician's instructions about time out of bed, walking, use of a wheelchair and that the nursing staff knows your whereabouts at all times.
- Patient Lifting equipment improves the quality of our nursing care by increasing safety, comfort, and dignity for our patients.
If you are unable to walk unassisted or to reposition yourself in bed while you are here, we may move you using a mechanical lifting device.
In keeping with our mission of healing, Lawrence + Memorial Hospital is a smoke-free campus. There is no smoking anywhere in the hospital or anywhere on hospital grounds. Patients should discuss the issue with their physician prior to admission. If you are a smoker, your nurse can provide you with a "survival kit" and our Wellness Center offers a smoking cessation program. For more information, call extension 2030.
If you are not on a restricted diet, the Food and Nutrition Department is able to provide you with a Room Service Program. This complimentary Room Service menu is offered to L+M patients. However, your guests may also order from our Room Service menu, if they would like to join you. They would need to pay for their meal.
Television and Telephones
Patient rooms are furnished with telephones.
All patient rooms are equipped with television sets that you may use at no charge. Each set comes with a private pillow speaker to ensure that the volume can be kept low.