The Heart and Vascular Center at Lawrence + Memorial Hospital provides evaluation, management and treatment for patients with heart failure.
Heart failure, also known as congestive heart failure, is a common condition in the United States that occurs when the heart muscle is not able to pump enough blood and oxygen to adequately support other organs in the body. When the heart muscle is not working efficiently it can cause varied symptoms including cough, shortness of breath, palpitations, leg or belly swelling, weakness and fatigue. It is the most common reason for hospital admission in the United States.
Our comprehensive and advanced heart failure care includes an outpatient disease management program for patients once discharged from the hospital with the goal of preventing future hospital admissions. This specialized team includes heart failure disease management advanced practice providers (e.g., nurse practitioners, physician assistants), nurses, pharmacists, and social workers. The staff collaborates with the patient’s primary cardiologist when creating a heart failure care plan that may include a heart monitoring device. Advanced heart care is also available for rare forms of cardiomyopathy.
Conditions We Treat
- The full continuum of heart failure
- Acute decompensated heart failure and cardiogenic shock (amyloidosis, sarcoidosis)
- Advanced or end-stage heart failure
- Complex coronary artery disease and heart valve disease
- Heart failure with preserved ejection fraction
- Inherited cardiomyopathies (hypertrophic, arrhythmogenic, dilated)
Medical Treatment Options
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- CardioMEMS™ device implantation and monitoring
- Defibrillator and pacemaker implantation
- Evaluation and tailored medical therapy for advanced heart failure
- Guideline-directed medical therapy for the full continuum of heart failure
- Heart failure disease management and outpatient diuretic therapy
- High risk coronary artery revascularization
Heart Failure Treatment
As part of Yale New Haven Health, Lawrence + Memorial Hospital is dedicated to providing the most comprehensive guideline-based management to patients with heart failure. For patients who may need care for advanced heart failure, appropriate services are provided at Yale New Haven Hospital.
Learn more about the Comprehensive Heart Failure Program